Tuesday, August 5, 2008

what is love?


I was sitting with my grandparents a few nights ago, and they were talking about some special times in their lives.  And it is always fascinating to me to hear them talk about the past and their lives together.  They have been married 73 years.  And now they are very old, very fragile, and still very much in love.  
Listening and watching them these past 10 years of my life has taught me so much.  
I was sitting on their blue plaid couch watching them eat their dinner and sparking conversation, and my grandpa began to explain to me how they have been married for 73 years.  His response was quite simple--but very deep.  He raised his hand and held out 3 fingers and stated that the reason they have made it this long is faith, love and forgiveness.  How can I argue with the man?  He is sitting there eating dinner with his wife of 73 years, taking care of her in her fragile age, and still enjoying life even though it isn't what it used to be anymore.  
I want a love like that.  
The best story I have of them happend a few years ago.  My grandpa was helping my grandma down the stairs---and you have to remember they are both in their mid 90's, so it isn't an easy task anymore.  My grandma's foot slipped on the way down and she began to fall, so my grandpa fell in front of her so she would land on him and not on the hardwood floor that waited below.  He tore up his hand pretty good and had some bruises but my grandma was fine and to him that is all that mattered.
Watching them and learning from them has truly been a blessing. 
And I figured since I always want to write about things that matter and small things that touch my life in this blog, why not write about the two people who have taught me more about love, commitment, and life than my grandparents? 

No comments: