Saturday, September 20, 2008

purpose...?

I remember when I was little.  Face pressed up against the glass, making a face at my dad while he was pumping gas.  Or when it was time for school, my dad was my alarm clock and my mom was the good morning committee in the kitchen.  We'd pray, and off to school and work everyone would go.  I remember endless amounts of sports practices, and watching my parents sitting in the stands, being supportive no matter what I was doing or how good or bad I was.  I remember being little, no responsibilities except to keep my room clean, which I wasn't very good at, and to help around the house.  Now, I am my own alarm clock.  I am responsible for my actions every day, and I am responsible for getting things done.  Paying my bills, buying my groceries, and applying myself to do well in college. I am responsible for myself.
It is a weird thought thinking about getting old.  You only gain years, you never go back.  And it is funny to think back to life when I was young and how I thought these times were so far away and I would never reach them.  Now look at me.
I was thinking about this yesterday when Hunter was on the phone talking to someone about similar types of things with a friend.  At our age, without Christ instilled in our hearts, and without following his direction and listening intently to His voice and where He is leading us, we are nothing.  We amount to nothing without Him, and everything we accomplish here on earth without God, it means nothing.  What purpose do we have without God.  We have none.   He is our purpose.  He should be our purpose for everything we do.  If not, who are we doing it for, ourselves?  
It breaks my heart to hear people who are in there prime years 0f 20-27, just plain lost, in relationships, in job decisions, in life, and they can't understand what is missing.  But what is missing is the most important thing.  God.  With our focus completely on God, we notice that everything else seems to fall in place. 
I feel like I'm rambling, but thats the purpose of blogging right?
goodnight.

1 comment:

The Baurs said...

So true. This blog made me smile. It's weird growing up isn't it? Reminds me of the song "Older" by Colbie Cailatt (however you spell it). It's also cool that no matter what changes in our lives as we get older, God doesn't change. He's always there... always loving us. :)

PS - You forgot to add that I was your alarm clock for a little while too... haha!!! :)